Why Climb?

Climbing has become a passion. To the question, "Why climb mountains?" there is really no adequate answer. Everest climber George Mallory when asked, "Why climb Everest?" responded "Because it's there."
I experience climbing as not a contest against the mountain, but a contest against myself. The conditioning, the planning, the begging of Tracy of how the next mountain is vital to our family welfare...all of this is part of the experience. The actual climb and peak experience is just the last chapter of the book, so to speak. But oh how that last chapter is interesting.
With the climb is the realization that I'm not 18 anymore. With the climb is the importance of what to pack in your backpack and who to accompany you, if anyone. With the climb is the importance of weather assessment (which can be vital above the treeline at 12,000 feet...there is not much for lightening to strike at this altitude except you). With the climb is varying degrees of risk, dependent upon the location. With all of these factors there are great possibilities.....of a glorious experience or a disaster.
My best experience in the mountains thus far was in July of 2008. Our teens at Oak Flat MBC and sponsors climbed Mt. Red Cloud in Colorado. We began at 5:00 A.M. and climbed steadily for hours. My daughter Meagan became altitude sick at about 13,000 feet. We were well above the treeline and basically perched on rocky switchbacks about two feet wide. She "hurled" twice and another teenager became sick also. I began to question my sanity in planning this and then realized, with sick kids and expansive drop-offs at our feet, why we had been required to sign waiver forms before coming to this camp. Our guides gave Meagan medicine and Gatorade gel tablets and soon we were climbing again. We made it to a false summit and then traversed the ridge that connected to the Red Cloud summit. Winds were strong, our breathing was very labored, and the ridge was only 3 feet wide or so with tremendous 2,000 foot drops on each side.
When we summitted (1:00 P.M.), we prayed, we celebrated, and we all felt stronger because of the experience.
My worst experience happened in the summer of 2007 on the Williams Creek trail near Lake City, Colorado. Tracy, myself and the kids began this trail as we were told that this was a great family hike. After a mile or so, the trail narrowed and intensified. At about 11,000 feet, we were on a shelf path when Logan slipped and began falling off the path. His yell alerted Meagan and she reached out quickly and grabbed his shirt near the back of his neck. She and I then pulled him up. We immediately began holding hands and descending. He would have been seriously injured or could have died in the fall. I thank God regularly for watching out for us and I have not taken the boys back to the mountians since. I periodically remind myself when climbing, "No mistakes."
Why climb? I don't know. Is it because the mountains are there? Is it the addictive exposure to intoxicating views? Is it a reminder of who created it all? Is it the physical activity? Is it the risk involved which causes other concerns in life to vanish? Or is it due to repeated exposure to lack of sufficient oxygen? I do know this. There is no known cure at this time.

1 comment:

  1. Brother Adrian, my name is James Snyder. I'd appreciate it if you could email me, so I have your email address. Mine is CalvaryYouth@LIVE.com . Thanks.

    ReplyDelete