THE LOST PREACHER

L.R. Shelton surrendered to the ministry in Louisiana in 1916. He pastored churches and preached numerous summer revivals for several decades. Shelton was reportedly powerful in the pulpit, leading many souls to the Lord. In 1941, while another evangelist was preaching a lengthy revival in the church he was pastoring, Shelton became convicted that he was lost. He left the last service of the revival without speaking to anyone and went straight to bed, tossing and turning. Shelton was “gripped with great fear as I realized I was lost and on the road to hell.”

The next night he took a train to Shreveport to meet a preaching engagement in his brother's home church. In his brother's home, he was left to face his spiritual condition. He thought to himself, “I cannot admit to others that I am lost. I will be an outcast. My reputation will be finished.” Shelton went on and preached both services. He returned home and told his wife he was lost. He told the church he was lost and offered his resignation. Shelton was soon saved, greatly comforted by the words written by the apostle Paul, “I know in whom I have believed.”

After being baptized, added to the church, surrendering to the ministry (again), ordained (again) and called by the church (again), Bro. Shelton continued preaching and pastoring while always seemingly engulfed in controversy over one matter or another.

“From The Plowhandles To The Pulpit” L.R. Shelton

Has anyone ever heard of this man? Can God use unbelievers to proclaim His Word? Or did Shelton just preach in the flesh and God blessed anyway?

5 comments:

  1. Hello, Brother Neal. I happened across your blog ultimately from following links from "In Defense of Landmarkism" blog. How are you?

    Concerning your questions. 1. I have heard of L. R. Shelton, and in fact used to hear him preach on the radio every once in awhile. I believe he started out Southern Baptist and wound up independent, but my memory may be wrong. I enjoyed the sermons I heard. He seemed to focus a good bit on lost church members, perhaps because of his own experience. 2. The God who made an ass talk certainly can use unbelievers to say what He wants them to say. 3. Who other than God can say for certain that Shelton was saved or lost? Perhaps he was or was just confused & just thought so. If he was lost surely he was preaching in the flesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a brother who experienced a very similar experience. I know for a fact God used some of his sermons to see souls saved, baptized and personally to change my heart (even while he was lost - all we can go on is someone's testimony and I trust my brothers). But that is because He preached the word. The Word is the Spirit's sword, his tool by which he pierces our hearts. His Word does not return to Him void, no matter who preaches it. I think Paul said something along these lines...

    (Philippians 1:18) What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretense, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

    The difference is a lost man receives no benefit or blessing from it. Nor does a non-church member receive the same blessing a church member does in preaching the gospel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This, in a sense, places us preachers in our proper place. While the messenger is important (you know, beautiful feet...Rom.10:14), the Word, accompanied by the Spirit, is where the power is.
    Ps.119:50 "thy word quickeneth me"
    Rom.10:17 "faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God."

    I wonder how many people in the world are in the position of Bro. Shelton and perhaps have embraced Christianity as a life philosophy w/o genuine repentance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew one preacher, and OH HOW SWEET when they do come to know the Lord! It's amazing how God can use the message to convict the preacher, Amen!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Putting the issue of saved vs. lost aside, let's talk about preaching with sin in your life. I see it much in the same way.

    But let's look at an example from the Scripture. Jonah is a great one. When he preached to the Ninevites, he did not WANT them to accept his preaching. He wanted God to destroy them, yet God still used this man's preaching to bring the entire city to repentance.

    I do not know if L.R. Shelton was saved or lost. As was suggested in a previous post, perhaps he was saved all along and simply questioned his salvation. Either way, I say the answer is "Yes! God can use a lost person or a person with sin present in his or her life to accomplish His will."

    ReplyDelete