Pre-Wrath Rapture (Part I)

I believe the Bible teaches a pre-wrath rapture of the saved. I respect the scholarship of my Christian friends who believe otherwise and I'm sure we can all rejoice in the Bible promise that Jesus will return. Yet I am also instructed to study, to show myself approved unto God, so that I can be a workman and rightly divide the word when I teach and preach.

Bro. Tom McElmurry, on his web-site tribulationperiod.com, has an excellent article under “Historical Rapture Teachings” wherein he has researched historically the “appearance” of the Pre-Trib rapture idea in the 1800's. It began with the visions of a Scottish girl, the idea gained acceptance and then exploded when Scofield included it in his Bible notes in the early 1900's.

This blog (Part I) will only address common arguments for the Pre-Trib rapture and how they fall short, in my opinion, of sound scriptural standards. The Lord willing, I will post Part II in a few days which will include scriptural reasons I believe the return, resurrection, and rapture will occur on the Day of the Lord towards the end of the Tribulation.

1)It is said that Titus 2:13 teaches that there are two parts to the Lord's return. “Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing...” First of all “that blessed hope (Greek elpis, desire or confidence, which is the same hope as that of Col.1:27 “Christ in you the hope of glory) is distinct from the glorious appearing (Greek epiphaino, to shine, to show forth). Are they related in context? Sure. But do they somehow teach the rapture and then the glorious appearing seven years later? Absolutely not.

2)It is said that there is no mention of churches from Rev.4-19. I could discuss that point with several scriptures, but suffice it to say that just because the church is not mentioned does not mean that it is not there. This is called an “argument from silence.” In other words, could I say that the treadmill in the corner of my bedroom is not present simply because I have not mentioned it. Nonsense. The word church/churches is also missing from II Timothy, Titus, Hebrews, I & II Peter, I & II John & Jude. Do we assume that the church is not present simply because it is not mentioned?

3)It is said that Christ's return must be imminent. It is true that I should live my life in the light and hope of Christ's return. But can the idea of the imminent return of Christ supercede or take precedence over the Word of God? Example: Could Jesus have returned before the apostle Peter's death? No, because Jesus had told him how he would die. Could Jesus have returned before Israels' regathering? The answer is no because God's Word must be fulfilled. We are told to be aware of the times and the signs of His return. Why would Jesus say this if His return could have been at any moment after His ascension? The scriptures do not teach the imminent return of Christ so as to violate prophecy.

4)”God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ”
I Thess.5:9. The “ wrath” in this verse refers to the “wrath of God” that abides on an unbeliever. The contrast is between the wrath and the salvation that a believer has. If I were to use Biblical words in this fashion I could quote Jesus, “In the world ye shall have tribulation...”
The meaning of wrath and the context of I Thess.5:9 is clear. Yet even if one chooses to still interpret this verse incorrectly, it is still in harmony with a pre-wrath position as the wrath of God does not fall until the end of the Tribulation.

5)Thess.2:7 “he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way”
This states that the Holy Spirit will be taken out of the way, not out of the world.

6)The Bible says, ”no one knows the day nor the hour.” True. But the Bible does teach that a person can know the times and the seasons. In fact, God tells us to be aware of these.

7)It is said that God will remove the righteous before He exercises judgment on the unbelievers. True. The pre-wrath interpretation does teach that the saved will be removed before God's wrath (Isaiah 26:20), but there is NO guarantee that this will happen seven years prior to His wrath. I wonder what the millions of Christian martyrs think of the idea that all of the righteous will miss the tribulation because “God has better things prepared” for the saved.

For the sake of time and space, I'll conclude this as I know that there are several other Pre-trib arguments which could be addressed. Some of these arguments fail to reconcile the fact that several chapters in Revelation take the reader to the end, and then the next few chapters take the reader to the end while describing a different aspect of the same time frame.

To believe in a Pre-Trib rapture, I would have to believe in multiple resurrections, that when a rapture occurs and then saints are killed during the tribulation that death is really not swallowed up in victory, and that the last trump of I Cor. 15 is not really the last trump.

Pre-Trib arguments, to me, appear to be misinterpretations and wishful thinking. When I teach/preach on the Second Coming, I often share the main views of the rapture and then share why I believe the R, R & R will simply be a pre-wrath rapture. Part II soon.

9 comments:

  1. I have one question for my dearly esteemed brother...if the Church is still here during the 7 years of "Jacob's Trouble" why would the Lord forgo the ministry of the Church and use 144,000 "jewish" evangelist to proclaim the word?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My beloved brother, remember the "argument from silence?" Just because the focus in Rev. shifts to "Jewish preachers," that does not mean that the church is not still here. Has the church ever had an effective ministry to the Jews? Part II will address this, so wait for the shekinah glory to descend...And remember, how could Neal, Reese, and Stringer all be wrong?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how could reese, neal and stringer be wrong? do you seriously want me to answer that question?
    I find your "argument of silence" an inadequate argument at best. The reason for not using the Church and using jewish preachers is because we are in a different dispensation...the same reason the Church was not used during the old testament.
    The Church serves her purpose today...reaching the Gentiles hence we are living in the Church age...when the Time of "JACOB's Trouble" is going on we will be in another dispensation.
    THIS IS NOT A TEST OF OUR FELLOWSHIP...as some of our readers would presuppose. Adrian I just wanted to add that last part for some of our brethren who might think that...in fact for all of those who may think this...Adrian has prached at White Rock and I preached at Oak Flat while we knew where each other stood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another dispensation??? Rev.11:15 records the next dispensation, "And the seventh angel sounded (last trump)...the kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord and of his Christ."
    You are correct on one thing...NOT A TEST OF FELLOWSHIP. I am careful while preaching in other churches to simply preach the Lord's return, our anticipation of it and the lost had better get prepared for it.
    To any others reading as well, Christian discussion can be healthy. I have grown in my faith because of it. In the presence of unbelievers, though, it can be a detriment.
    Just wait, Jason, for Part II. It will all become clear as transfixed, you come over to the dark side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose I am with you in all you said, except possibly one point, which I am not 100% sure on in my studying. I suppose even if wrath were poured out on earth for 3 1/2 or 7 years, it is not poured out on ANY saints (whether it be church or as pre-tribbers suggest tribulation saints). I believe in the post-trib view as of now, but I didn't read any books to end up there other than the Bible.

    I'd like you to do one thing next time you post a two part posting. Post the part 2 first, and part one next, that way they go from top to bottom on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't believe either that wrath will be poured out on believers. This is one factor, among several, that I cannot embrace the post-trib view and the pre-wrath rapture towards the end of the tribulation seems most scriptural.
    The posts do appear backwards, but anytime you press a point, dismissing objections first is an effective way to present your position. We do this in preaching sometimes and it clears the air and then opens the door for you to present what the Lord has for the congregation.
    By the way, I have known Reese, Wilkes and Hebert for many years and as friends we will be discussing these issues until we are 85 (or until Jesus returns)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Knowing Brother Wilkes and Reese myself, I know. You should attend one day at LMBIS before this year is over (since it is Brother Micah's, Brother Mike's and my fifth year) and see the discussions that take place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. FOR PRETRIB RAPTURE REPEATERS

    Congratulations! You are now fulfilling the Bible which says "Come now, and let us repeat together."
    Be sure to repeat what Walvoord, Lindsey, LaHaye, Ice etc. repeat what their own teachers repeat what their own teachers repeat etc. etc. etc.!
    Repeat that Christ's return is imminent because we're told to "watch" (Matt. 24, 25) for it. So is the "day of God" (II Pet. 3:12) - which you admit is at least 1000 years ahead - also imminent because we're told to be "looking for" it?
    Also repeat the pretrib myths about the "Jewish wedding stages" and "Jewish feasts" (where's your "church/Israel dichotomy" now?) even though Christ and Paul knew nothing about a "pretrib stage" and neither did any official theological creed or organized church before 1830!
    You should read "Pretrib Rapture Dishonesty" on the "Powered by Christ Ministries" site to find out why you shouldn't repeat everything your pretrib teachers repeat.
    Do I have to repeat this?

    ReplyDelete