Texas Whitetail Laws

Numerous Texas counties have adopted the 13 inch minimum spread rule for whitetail bucks. The county I live in, Angelina, has adopted this rule and I have mixed emotions about it. I understand the management concept of allowing younger, smaller bucks to walk and I generally support it. My uncle, however, killed a 12 1/2 inch spread buck a few years ago, with 15 scorable points and tallying 139 Boone & Crockett points. The buck was 5 1/2 years old. (Of course, private leases have their own restrictions & management programs) Point is, antler spread does not always indicate maturity.

The only other objection I have is that if one of my kids sees a decent buck or ANY buck for that matter (especially on our own property), they should be able to legally take the deer. I support game management, but I'm a little tired of attempted government intrusion in every area of our lives.

Not sure if this management concept is spreading in Louisiana or Arkansas.

Let's see, how can I relate this post to Christianity or a Bible theme....

Psalm 42:1 "As the hart (deer) panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Just hope when he comes to water, he has a 13 inch spread or better!

3 comments:

  1. Amen, the only spread law we have in Arkansas is the spread we put on the table after we kill it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, the deer belong to the state....they set the season, they set the quota, they set the restrictions...until you hit one with your car.
    Then it's your insurance buddy....the state is not responsible!

    One guy near Austin hit a deer, and then tried legally to hold the state responsible...at that point the state argues, "Oh no. They are not our deer, they are the people's deer."
    He lost the case.

    ReplyDelete