Feeding The Rat

When you love to do something, and you don't often get opportunities to do it, "the rat gets hungry." I love the mountains. Living at 289 feet above sea level doesn't provide too many chances to climb.

The last adventure was with good friend and brother in Christ Michael Reese. We travelled to Guadalupe Peak in West Texas in late December of 2008. This park is in the proverbial "middle of nowhere." We endured the high winds and the 4 1/2 mile climb. The summit views were well worth it.

But the rat is hungry. Tracy has planned a trip to Colorado Springs in late July for a week and Pike's Peak is nearby (over 14,000 feet). My 11 year old son Logan has informed me that I am not climbing Pike's Peak without him. I know you can drive up Pike's Peak or ride the Cog train.
But, somehow, I don't think I'll travel that way.

A. Alvarez wrote, "Every year you need to flush out your system and do a bit of suffering. I think it's because there is always a question mark about how you will perform. When the rat's had a good meal, you come away feeling terrific. And even if you blow it, at least there isn't that great unknown. But to snuff it without knowing who you are and what you are capable of, I can't think of anything sadder than that."

I thank God for my family, my friends, my health and opportunities to appreciate God and His awesome creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment