Colorado 2011

If you don't know it, I love Colorado in the summer. This past week, my son Logan and I met the Reeses in Leadville where daytime temps were around 70 and nighttime temps were in the low 40's. Logan and I stayed in a tent for 3 nights, but we were hardly roughing it. We had water, electricity, an air mattress, dvd player, etc.

On July 9th, we located the trailhead for Mt. Elbert, the highest mountain in Colorado. On July 10th, we awoke at 4 A.M. and began preparing for the climb. The summit is 4.5 miles from the beginning of the trailhead. We were on the trail at 5:05 A.M., with several of us using headlights in the semi-darkness. Talk about steep! We had to stop periodically and just breathe. Between 10 and 11 A.M., we rose above the tree line, which is usually around 12,000 feet. Within an hour or so, all members of the group began to struggle, physically and mentally. (Of course, Michael Reese and I already struggle mentally) :) The comments were pretty negative for awhile..."this is exhausting" "I can't go anymore" "Will we ever get to the summit?"

Within minutes, Logan became VERY altitude sick. It is called AMS (acute mountain sickness). He had a headache, stomach ache, fatigue, and was extremely disoriented. I knew we had to descend immediatley. AMS can occassionaly develop into HAPE or HACE which can be fatal. Michael and his group summitted an hour or two later, but in risky weather.

I carried Logan's backpack and mine for several miles and he began to improve. He was a real trooper and did his best. AMS strikes anyone, no matter how fit, or where they are from.

The next day, Logan and I drove east of Denver to Mt. Evans, another 14er. You can drive fairly close to the summit, and then, after a short hike, take in the breathtaking views. This was quite an enjoyable day with my son. Lots of snow still in the Colorado mountains this year.

We then travelled to Colorado Springs and toured the Olympic Training Center. What an inspirational place. After a day at Royal Gorge, we headed south to the promised land...Texas.

I look forward to going back to Colorado and attempting more 14ers. There are mountains that I would love to climb...Handies, Bierstadt, Uncompaghre, Massive...and oh yeah, there's also unfinished business on Elbert. I may have to attempt it alone in the future, but God willing, I will stand on the highest point in Colorado one day.

*If this has bored you, sorry. Blogs help me remember trips and such.
God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment