Romans 3:23 ?

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God"

Quoted it. Preached it. Referenced it. But wait a minute.

I do not want to dissect this verse like a lab experiment that will have to die in the process. But is Romans 3:23 two descriptions of the same concept (sin)?
Or is this a bit of a distinction between two similar concepts?

"all have sinned" = miss the mark, transgress, violate

"come short of the glory of God" = ?

In other words, can an act or condition NOT be sinful, but just fall short of the glory of God? If that's the case, this verse truly covers everything.

4 comments:

  1. I should think sin = broken God's law (therefore we deserve Hell).

    To come short of the glory of God = our goodness does not meet God's glory. (therefore, we cannot earn Heaven).

    Not sure if this is what you were asking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lie. That is clearly sin.

    But I'm walking through the woods thinking about how the Astros are in last place again this year. That is not sin necessarily (unless I was convicted to go witnessing that day) but it surely falls under "coming shourt of the glory of God." It's not worship, it's not spiritual, it's not edifying, etc.

    So does Rom. 3:23 describe two aspects of the same condition : failing to meet God's standard of perfection? Or do I need to go live in a hut somewhere far away?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think (reiteration: think) the book of 1st Opinions and James chapter 6 both show clearly that "all have sinned" shows all deserve Hell for breaking God's law. Also these two pinnacle scriptures show coming short of God's glory includes everything humans do, good or bad, not being worthy of making up for those sins. Falling short of the glory of God not only includes our bad works, not only includes our thinking about the Dallas Cowboys, but also includes our helping the older lady across the street or saving a person's life. As noble as they may be, they still fall very short of God's glory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So just by my nature and existence on a sinful earth, I fall short of God's glory, right?

    I have heard people argue about whether we should confess our sins or confess that we are a sinner. (which in a sense is a semantical argument) Romans 3:23 seems to cover both. The fact that I sin and the fact that I am by nature a sinner.

    ReplyDelete