Random Israel

I visited Israel in 2006 (along with Michael Reese, Davy Hopson, Bobby Sparks and other super ABA folks) and here are a few random observations. If you have ever visited Israel and would like to contribute, please do so. If you have questions, PERHAPS I could attempt an answer. Mr. “Promise Land” might have the answer, after all, he lives there.

1.Many people in Israel believe that Jesus worked with stone and not wood. The word carpenter simply means “one who works with his hands.” There is a lot of stone around the Sea of Galilee, and very few trees.

2.Israel is a very secular country. Orthodox Jews are only seen in small numbers, except in Jerusalem.

3.The valley of Armageddon has been and will be a natural, geographic funnel for invading armies. This is easily seen from atop the ruins of Megiddo.

4.Nearly everything in Israel shuts down on the sabbath. There are even sabbat elevators which open on every floor, thus keeping Jews from having to push buttons (work) on the sabbath.

5.The walls of Jericho did not crumble. They truly fell down flat. The walls have been excavated and they are visible.

6.Camels stink and they are a very rough ride.

7.The Dead Sea is the lowest point on earth. It is 1300 feet below sea level. There is new meaning to the scriptures that say they went “up to Jerusalem.”

8.Palestinians in the West Bank are very poor and will try to sell anything. One young boy pulled off an olive branch from the tree I was standing by, and then tried to sell it to me for $1.

9.Native thorns in America are usually no longer than 2 inches. The ONLY native thorn in Israel is 4-5 inches long. When I read of the crown of thorns, it now breaks my heart more than ever.

10.At David's Tomb, Jewish rabbis read the Old Testament 24/7. They rotate in 2 hour shifts.

11.Muslims sealed the Eastern Gate so as to prevent the Messiah from coming through them. (I think Jesus can handle it when He returns, don't you?!)

12.Bethesda's Pool is NOT the kiddie pool size whirlpool that we have seen in Sunday School literature & drawings. It is huge, with five distinct porches and spans almost an acre.

13.In 2006, the Temple Institute had made 70 of the 93 items to be used in future Temple worship. I took pictures of the Menorah, the altar, and the High Priests vestments until the “Israeli tour Guide lady” pointed at me, “I said no pictures!” I'm sorry angry Israeli tour guide lady person.

14.Israelis & Palestinians do not eat very many sweets. They are not fat. If you see skinny people for two weeks and then return to America, you think you have entered a Sumo Wrestlers Convention when you walk into Wal-Mart.

15.The Garden Tomb is just as powerful as I anticipated. I don't cry easily, but on our free day in Jerusalem, I went back to it, stood in there alone, prayed...and cried tears of thankfulness. I texted Tracy, “The Tomb is Empty,” just to let her know that I had been there. She texted back, “Duh.”

16.All hotels have a mezuzah mounted on the upper right side of the door. It is a small plate with 12 stones (12 tribes) and the Hebrew letter shin (El Shaddai). It is a reminder of the Passover night.

17.There is a large restaurant and museum between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv honoring, of all people, Elvis Pressley.

18.Israeli helicopters (with mounted machine guns) patrol Israel's borders continually. You just get used to it.

19.I saw one Baptist church in Israel. Location....Nazareth. By request of his sponsoring church, I tried to contact one of our ABA missionaries in the West Bank, Ibrahim Imseeh. No luck.

20.Someone in our group asked if we could go up on top of Calvary. Our tour guide, Iyad, responded, “You cannot go up there. Muslim graves are on top. They will shoot you.” I didn't try to go, even though a church member had made a request of a rock from Calvary. (maybe he was trying to set me up....?)

21.If I had known Israel would be so meaningful, I would have saved every possible cent and gone years before I did. I appreciate Oak Flat MBC and the contributors who made the trip possible. I plan on returning....when Jesus returns, if not sooner.
(perhaps some of you guys would like to plan a trip in the future and need someone to go who has been before and would help with...well, never mind, just a thought)

13 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the memories Adrian, but it was April 2007!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michael! What color shirt was I wearing when the belt selling Arab tried to con me in Jerusalem??

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was blue with white cuffs on the sleeves and you had a jacket on that day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wrong dude!! It was yellow. Perhaps your memory is not what Wilkes maintains it is?!
    I should have asked you what the exact gas mileage was of our tour bus, but I didn't want to drive you insane. (I wonder what it was?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You forgot the most important observation of the whole trip........ Davy "I haven't seen a cow yet." I had fun bro and I would like to do it again someday, before the second coming."

    ReplyDelete
  6. And blog said, "Let there be Davy, and there was Davy..."

    Great to see you in the blogosphere. Now you can cross reference all blogs and solve for us the following:
    the 2nd coming, raffle tickets, the origin of steeples, house church, ecumenical softball,
    and church organization.
    Of course, you need a Davy blog to enlighten us.
    We finally did a see a cow, remember?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good guess, but you did have a jacket on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The "dispute" happened just outside the Garden of Gethsemane. Yellow shirt according to pics that day. Jacket? possibly. I'm glad it didn't escalate.
    "American Preacher Arrested For Assualt At Garden of Gethsemane" would NOT have been a good headline in the Jerusalem Post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't refer to any pics, are u sure you don't have your days confused?
    I was a little worried about your reaction to the Palestian Arab Idiot also. I just knew that I was going end up with a black bag over my head that day because of that idiot trying to rip you off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brothers Crocker & Sparks are taking another group in October, I hear. The cost is $3000 or so this time.
    I'm about $2,995 short. I guess I can go back free during the Millenium. Jerusalem will probably be much cleaner then...fewer mangy cats, rabid salesmen, and tires burning in dumpsters at night....

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1.In Jesus day, I think there were a lot more trees.
    6. I agree, especially getting up and down.
    15. My most powerful experience on the trip
    I went in 1981 in Nov. just after Sadat was killed. We went to Israel, Jordan, Egypt and thanks to plane trouble had to land in Athens in the afternoon with just enough time for me to get to Mars Hill. I went with a group headed by Dr. I. K. Cross, there was a tour bus (about 30)of ABA people and a tour bus (30 more) of independent Baptists from KY. Going through Hezekiah's tunnel was a favorite and traveling about a mile around the city on top of the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Arch Bishop,
    Sorry to say this, but in 1981 I was a freshman in High School. Hezekiah's Tunnel was interesting and that entire "City of David" area has been and is continuing to be excavated. Bro. Bobby Sparks said that it had changed dramatically between 2003 or so and when we went in 2007. I didn't walk the top of the wall, but Bro. Reese did.
    We also went into the tunnel underneath the wall (Western Wall Tunnel) and even saw where the priest burrowed through and supposedly saw the Ark of the Covenant. Was that opened up when you went?
    Israel opens alot of discussion...

    ReplyDelete
  13. The tunnel under the wall was not open in 1981 to the best of my knowledge. We looked for a place to have Sun worship. Bro. I. K. Cross arranged for us to meet in a bar where they had only a couple of customers. They turned offf the TV and listened to us very politely. I forget who preached, but I got to play piano for the service. It was the only time I've ever been in a bar or played in a piano bar. no, I did not put out a tip cup.
    We went to sheep sale on Friday morning where I saw several herds mix and mingle until a boy of about 12 called to his flock. His sheep separarted themselves from the rest and followed his voice.
    I got to enter a pyramid in Egypt, went to Petra, crossed the Allenby bridge and entered Israel about the same place as they did after the 40 years wanderings. Going across the desert between Egypt and Syria, I turned my individual air down the back of the neck of my preacher friend sitting ahead of me. He could see the heat waves and shivered in his seat. Masada was also a moving experience, realizing what happened there. I graduated high school in 72.

    ReplyDelete